Expert Shield screen protectors: easy, durable and transparent
Expert Shield screen protectors
I recently discovered Expert Shield screen protectors. Expert Shield is a small UK based company that make screen protectors for a broad range of devices from smartphones to top-of-the-line DSLRs.
Most camera screens scratch easily nowadays, something that annoys me immensely. It fact the only camera I’ve tested in the last few years that uses reinforced glass is the Fuji X-T1, and I’d use a screen protector on that one just to be safe too.
I’ve tried several screen protectors over the years, from generic ( like JJC) to brand specific (Sony). I’ve always found that they decrease visibility (especially in bright sunlight) and are not worth the money.
Not so with these protectors:
- None of the functionality is lost (touch screen still feels smooth and crisp)
- highly transparent
- durable protection
- you hardly notice that you have applied a screen protector
All Expert Shield screen protectors have three layers:
- a silicone gel layer, which allows you to apply your shield with ease and stops it peeling up over time
- an ultra-hard mask to stop deeper scratches
- a top layer that absorbs any other damage
Now I never had much success applying screen protectors to my cameras, there always seem to be an air bubble or small spec of dust stuck under the protector somewhere.
The special silicone gel on the Expert Shield screen protectors does not leave air bubbles, but any persistent bubbles that can’t be squeezed out to the edges are caused by trapped dust. So you should take extra care during application.
The best strategy I’ve come up with is:
- Make sure I have a screen protector ready when the camera is delivered
- Move to your bathroom, generate some steam by turning on a hot shower for a few minutes
- The increased moisture level will decrease the amount of dust particles in the air
- Take the new camera out of the box and remove the plastic cover from the LCD
- Immediately apply the screen protector
How to buy
You can buy Expert Shield screen protectors on Amazon or direct via their website. The protectors for digital cameras cost between 8.95$-£5.95 and 13.95$-£7.95, a real steal if you consider replacing a screen would cost you much more. They also offer a lifetime guarantee on their protectors and will most likely send you a replacement even if you have a problem during installation, just ask nicely.